Just came across this simple diagram of MS Exchange client-server protocols and figured I’d share it here. These days there is a bit of a confusion on where each protocol used in Exchange so I decided to try and fill this gap. I will also put it in the context of QMM migrations and describe how it evolved over the years plus point out a difference in permissions assignment model.
This case is another one of those countless issues which reminds you every day that no matter how long you have been doing migrations you can never rest on an old knowledge and experience. Rather you need to keep learning something new which may at first appear same old, that’s a nature of our job 🙂
This one is quick but interesting. You may run into an error “WMI Provider Error: Cannot find object or property” during SQL Server migration, in particular when switching SQL Service account from Source to Target.
I was recently working on migration from Exchange 2010 to Office 365 using DMM 8.11. I have installed DMM AD/Exchange console on computer1 and had a dedicated agent host computer2 to host my Mage agents.